My home is perfect for singles, couples, business travellers, and families with kids.
It's less than a ten minute walk to the railway station, smart new Wetherspoons pub, Waitrose, town centre with many eateries, beach and pier, outdoor pool, and artsy Back Beach area.
Redecoration continues in some bits of the house, but the Red Room is 99% finished, fully functional, and very comfortable. Tea, coffee, toast, fruit, yogurt etc available for breakfast on a help yourself basis.
My home is a Victorian terraced house from 1897.
The Red Room is more like a mini-apartment with a king size four-poster plus sofa-bed and en suite facilities on the lower level, and two single beds in the attic room on the higher level, accessed via an open staircase. There is no door between the two levels so the space is open plan. I have a blind on the Velux roof window, but please be gentle with it, and ask me if you're not sure how to use it.
The Red Room, and the somewhat smaller Blue Room (also on two levels) next door occupy the top two floors of the four storeys of the my home. The decked garden, kitchen/diner, sun lounge and bathroom are on the bottom floor, one level below the front door but at garden level.
Being a terraced house, you may hear occasional sounds from neighbouring houses. Please be considerate of my neighbours, and keep the noise down especially at night.
Toegang voor gasten
You'll have exclusive access to the two floors and en suite facilities of the Red Room. There are also other toilet/washrooms on the first floor and ground-floor. The kitchen/diner, bathroom (with spacious shower unit and separate double-ended bath, ideal for sharing), sun lounge and decked garden are all available to guests, but please be flexible over their use so we don't end up all trying to cook or bathe at the same time!
I have a 1950s Challen 8' grand piano in my private room, and I'm very happy to allow visitors to play it by arrangement. It's not the world's best piano, but it's fun to play - especially if you're only used to an upright or digital instrument!
Interactie met gasten
I work from home much of the time so will often be available to help you with directions, information, help with using kitchen or laundry equipment etc, though if I'm very involved with a piece of work, I may ask you to wait a few minutes.
I run choir rehearsals on Monday evenings, and you are very welcome to come along to all or part of a rehearsal to listen or join in at no charge. My choir loves having visitors to sing to and you'll find the members very friendly.
I'm addicted to cafe life, so if you feel like having a natter over a cuppa in one of my favourite venues downtown, I'll find it very hard to refuse an invitation.
If you've arrived without your own transport, but have a particular destination you'd like to explore locally which is not easily reached by public transport, chat to me about it and we may be able to come to some arrangement if I have time to take you. I will make a charge, but it won't be extortionate, don't worry.
Andere dingen waar je op moet letten
Teignmouth is unusual amongst small seaside towns in that it stays bustling and busy all year round, with very few businesses closing for the winter. You can get pretty much any product or service in town you're likely to need. We have Morrisons, Co-op and Waitrose supermarkets plus a Tesco express, a number of small independent and chain bakeries, a great little greengrocers selling local produce, numerous cafes, restaurants and pubs, two excellent hardware stores, some really good charity shops, a choice of several pharmacies, clothes shops, souvenir & gift shops, antique specialists (including an amazing place specialising in maritime antiques), art & craft galleries - we even have a night club!
- Being a terraced house, I need to keep on friendly terms with my neighbours. I love kids, but if you know that it’s going to be difficult to keep them reasonably quiet during your stay - especially at night - please don’t book my accommodation. Sorry….
- If you plan to bring a pet, please check with me before booking.
- The toilet in the Red Room en suite uses a macerator and therefore NOTHING must be put down it other than poo, pee and toilet paper - even face tissues or tea bags will clog it and cause hundreds of pounds of damage! Unfortunately it also makes a noise that disturbs my neighbours, so please use the alternative toilet along the landing between the hours of 10pm and 8am (9am at weekends). You are also welcome to use the bathroom and shower in the basement at any time.
- Being near the town, the area is quite densely populated. Only on-street parking is available. Please be prepared to park anything up to 100 metres away on occasion. If possible arrive by public transport. I will try and pick you up from the station or bus stop if you let me know the ETA. If you have ANY complaints or concerns whatsoever about the accommodation, please do talk to me. I absolutely love being an AirBnb host, but I'm keen to discover ways to make your stay even more enjoyable, and will bend over backwards to make your stay as comfortable and memorable an experience as possible.
- Smoking within ten metres of the house is absolutely not allowed. Vaping is permitted outside. Please keep noise to a minimum between 8am and 10pm as this is a terraced house in a residential area.
- Your host has been vegetarian for 25 years - please be considerate in your choice of food whilst staying, and avoid cooking meat or fish that generate strong smells. Please make sure any meat or fish kept in the fridge is securely wrapped. Thank you!
Hello! I'm a 61-year-old musician and I've lived in Teignmouth since 1989 and absolutely love the place for its incredibly friendly people, relaxed lifestyle, proximity to wonderful countryside and coastline, and especially for the sea - I'm a keen sea-swimmer, and managed to swim through four winters (without wetsuit) but wimped out of that the last two winters :-( Always looking for encouragement to plunge back into the briny!
I'm a professional songwriter, composer, choirmaster, and educator, and have a unique speciality - communicating my passion for science through solo and choral songwriting. I'm the world's first songwriter-in-residence with a science festival - with MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where I spend a few weeks each spring. In 2015 I had the privilege of writing a song for the UN to mark the 30th anniversary of history's most successful environmental treaty, the Montreal Protocol (search "UNEP ozone song"), and in 2010 a choir of 250 singers opened the USA's first national science festival with a performance of my Powers of Ten science oratorio.
I especially enjoy writing songs based on conversations with scientists, and to that end I have interviewed such notables as Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Noam Chomsky, Sara Seager and Nobel Prize winner, Wolfgang Ketterle.
Over the last two years I've utterly transformed my house. People often describe it as a Tardis since it's way bigger inside that it looks outside. I've gone for a comfortable but contemporary style, and I enjoy showing it off to my Airbnb guests, though you'll notice lots of details even now awaiting attention - mainly in the shared areas of the house.
I love having visitors, and meeting new people. I'm a gay man, liberal-minded both socially and politically, and very happy to welcome people of all backgrounds, orientations, genders, races, and nationalities. I'm proud of the fact that on a recent weekend I had guests staying from: the Philippines, Scotland, Australia, Mexico, South Africa - and England! Other recent guests include visitors from Malaysia, Indonesia, Canada, the USA, Spain, and Colombia, with future arrivals soon from Germany, Switzerland, France, New Zealand - and all this within the first 8 months of being an AirBnb host. The chance to share my home with people from all around the world is one of the most exciting aspects of AirBnb for me.
Favourite books: Bonfire of the Vanities; Eats Shoots and Leaves
Favourite music: JS Bach, Michael Tippett, Joni Mitchell, Lady Gaga
Favourite food: Asian - Korean, Thai, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese (veggie only)
Favourite films: Magnolia, Crash, American Beauty, Elephant, Interstellar, 2001
Favourite shows: Sweeney Todd, Little Shop of Horrors
Favourite places: Greek Islands, Kerala, Edinburgh, Bristol
My life motto? Well, I may be an atheist, but I reckon Jesus got it about right with "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Imagine what a great world we'd live in if everyone lived by that motto!